What is the importance of time: How you can use it as an investment for your future.

Time is the money that can be invested to develop skills and benefit in the future. Discover the art of investing your time and consider time as your significant wealth. Read and learn about the value of time.

a sand clock in a stones surface
Photo by Aron Visuals on Unsplash

Being wealthy does not mean that you have a lot of money. Time is the most significant wealth. Once you realize the importance of time you'll never waste even a minute of your day. Money is energy that goes and comes back, but your lost time never comes back. If you buy shares in the stock market, you will be cautious and invest in a company that will profit you. Why shouldn’t you spend your time wisely? Why shouldn’t you invest your time in developing the skills which will benefit you in the future?

“Time is free, but it's priceless
You can't own it, but you can use it,
You can't keep it, but you can spend it,
Once you've lost it, you can never get it back.”

~Harvey MacKay

I have spent my time playing games, watching memes, swiping on social media, and everything else. By the time I realized and disciplined myself, in retrospect, I had lost valuable years of my life. If I had used those years, I lost, I would be more skillful today. Those years were my wealth. I could have spent them wisely, but I spent them doing stupid things. Time is a unique wealth that can’t be stored but can only be used. If you had money, would you throw it somewhere on the street? No! Then why do you throw away your time doing meaningless things?

Entertainment is a drug

Watching entertainment stuff such as “Netflix, YouTube entertainment videos, or dramas” is like a drug that gets you addicted and gives you pleasure, but you know how much harmful drugs are. This ‘entertainment’ drug destroys your self-esteem and fragile your confidence; it makes you crippled by fears, consequently which holds you back from exploiting the opportunities that knock on your door. Entertainment is the real reason you are in your comfort zone and are afraid to take risks because you’d rather watch some movie than give it a shot to apply for a job.

My elder brother has been trapped in his comfort zone. He cannot resist watching movies and swiping through social platforms. He wishes to do many things but can't fight his temptation of comfort. He uses his mobile for 8 hours to watch entertaining stuff. He makes ridiculous excuses because he does not want to put effort and sacrifice entertainment for his goals. He has lost his power to achieve his goals. On the other hand, I wake up in the morning, add tasks to my to-do list, and work all day. I have achieved many goals. After all, I have used the wealth "time," whereas my brother wastes his wealth "time" Because I know that time is my treasure, I regret daily the past years of my life that I had wasted.

Use this drug as a medicine:

Drugs are used in medicines, so use this ‘entertaining’ drug as a medicine rather than using it like real drug addicts. When you are tired and want to relax, watching a movie and taking a break is fine. It’s okay to watch Netflix on weekends. Make entertainment your slave, not your master! Most people watch television or use mobile phones (to kill time) for approximately 8 hours a day. They have made the entertainment their masters rather than their slaves. “Your television set can make you rich or poor. If you watch it all the time, it will make you poor. It can also make you rich, but only if you turn it off. When you turn off your television, you free up time that you can use to become a better, smarter, and more competent person,” says Brian Tracy in his book ‘No excuses!’. The more you watch entertainment, the more you don’t like yourself; the more you discipline yourself, the more you like yourself.

Conclusion:

Give importance to your time and invest it in developing your skills to reap the rewards in the future. Take breaks and use entertainment as a reward. Think about that question before you are tempted to watch the 2 hours movie, “Am I gonna just spend my precious time watching a movie or invest my time in doing something productive?” This question will make you realize the importance of your time. Read my other post on overcoming your laziness and disciplining yourself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Speak like a native: The 7 tips for learning English through movies.

Unleashing your potential: A guide to self-discipline and success

Unlocking English: The top 5 classic novels for beginners